Monday, September 6, 2010

Freshman English, Composition and CCCC*

“Freshman English, Composition and CCCC” is written by David Bartholomae (Professor at University of Pitterspburg). Bartholomae delivered this paper in the Conference on College Composition and Communication under the title “The Reach of Composition”. He sheds light on the pragmatic advantage of the CCCC in the world of Academia and more precisely composition. Then, the paper displays two threats to Technical Communication: the first one is of being humanized and the second is of being ill-designed. I think this article is valuable in the sense that it highlights part of CCCC history as well as some of the challenges facing composition as a field of study and a career discipline.

* College Composition and Communication
Vol. 40, No. 1 (Feb., 1989), pp. 38-50
Published by: National Council of Teachers of English
http://www.jstor.org/stable/358179

1 comment:

  1. Hi Khouloud,

    I found your annotation interesting because it seems to encompass the initial hesitation described in my article by Keinvel. I know Bartholomae from composition studies, and while many comp-theorists were arguing that computers and writing was a humanistic endeavor, Batholomae worries about it become humanized. I'm wondering if he is against the humanization of tech com or if he worries about the argument between traditional humanities and the newer comp and writing theorists? Let me know if you have some insight--and I'm sure I'll be looking up this article too!

    ReplyDelete